All our training is done at Cherry Creek Community Hall in the Gym or outdoors, unless otherwise stated. Location: 3270 Moore Road, Port Alberni ( SW corner of Cherry Creek Rd and Moore Rd – 4 way stop)
Basic Obedience Classes
This class covers the basics (sit, stay, down, recall, focus, heel, socialization, etc.) It is for the dogs of any age to learn the basics or as a refresher.
- Minimum age 12 weeks/3 months
- You should have time to bond with your dog before you start classes (2-3 weeks) and have a collar & leash on your dog for a walk.
- Dogs must have proof of vaccinations. (in order to complete Registration) The dog should be immunized against Distemper, Hepatitis and Parvo Virus and be free from communicable &/or infectious illness for 30 days prior to class.
Dogs should not have any aggression or temperment issues. If they have, we will be happy to recommend a suitable dog trainer.
Supplies you require:
- Flat Collar, Martingale Collar, or no-pull/walking harness. (No choke or prong Collars)
- 5-6 ft basic leash or kennel lead (no Flexi leash).
- Poop Bags.
- Soft treats/bait (like cut up weiners. Dry treats leaves crumbs behind that distracts other dogs and mess on Gym floor.)
Our instructor for Basic Obedience lessons is Synneva Stubbs-Dentoom. She is an Alberni Valley Kennel Club member and a Professional Canine Behaviour Specialist. She will be pleased to answer any questions you may have. Contact her by phone/text at 250-735-8880 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
BOOK YOUR SPOT NOW!
Register for Classes
Email to: email@example.com or phone Roxanne at 250-723-9939
Provide us with your Name, Email address & phone number, plus your dog’s name, breed and age/birthdate.
We will email you a “Registration package” to complete.
Click on the links below to obtain the Registration Package:
You must complete our Registration form, pay in full and provide us with veterinary vaccine record before you are registered for classes.
5 Basic Obedience Training Lessons
- Start Time: 6:00 or 7:00 pm on Monday evenings
- Class is approx. 45-55 minutes
- September to May classes will be indoors at Cherry Creek Hall Gym
- (May to September some classes will be outdoors at Cherry Creek Hall grounds)
- Classes cost $100.00 for 5 weekly lessons (limited number of dogs per class)
- Instructor: Synneva Stubbs-Dentoom
Basic Obedience Classes 2023
- BOC 23-1 Mon. Jan 9, Jan 16, Jan 23, Jan 30, Feb 6 – Completed
- BOC 23-2 Mon. Feb 13, Feb 20, Feb 27, Mar 6, Mar 13 – Completed
- BOC 23-3 Mon. Mar 27, Apr 3, Apr 10, Apr 17, Apr 24 – Completed
- BOC 23-4 Mon. May 1, May 8, May 15, May 22, May 29 – Full, in progress
- BOC 23-5 Mon. June 5, June 12, June 19, June 26, * July 10 (* no class July 3) – REGISTER NOW
- BOC 23-6 Mon. July 17, July 24, July 31, ** Aug 21, Aug 28. (** no classes Aug. 7, 14)
- BOC 23-7 Mon. Sep 4, Sep 11, Sep 18, Sep 25, Oct 2. (no classes Oct. 9, 16)
- BOC 23-8 Mon. Oct 23, Oct 30, Nov 6, Nov 13, Nov 20.
No classes in December 2023 – We will restart in January 2024
If you are interested in any training other than Beginner/Basic Obedience classes, please let us know. When we have sufficient interest, we are able to schedule classes.
If you are interested in any other classes/training, please contact us and we will be happy to go over the options available. When we get enough interest, we will contact you about scheduling and registering. Contact Roxanne at 250-723-9939 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Refresh/Repeat Basic Obedience (RBO)
for dogs that have already taken “Basic Obedience Classes” or older pups that just need to refresh their skills.
- To work on basic skills in a group setting.
- Develop confidence in all basic skills and behaviours.
Introduction to Advanced Obedience (IAO)
To pre-qualify your dog should be able to sit & stay in position for at least one minute.
- for dogs to develop confidence in their obedience skills (on & off leash)
- Introduce the skills required for performance sports (Rally Obedience, Agility, etc.) & competitions.
- Introduce the 12 skills/behaviours in the Canine Good Neighbour Program
CKC Canine Good Neighbour Program (CGN)
To pre-qualify your dog should be able to sit & stay in position for at least one minute
There are 12 skills/behaviours that are practiced to demonstrate good manners in public. (List of 12 skills/behaviours)
You have the option to take a qualifying exam and earn a certificate from Canadian Kennel Club.
Exam will be mid October during the Alberni Valley Kennel Club Dog Show or earlier if there is a need.
(Show Handling) Ages 8-18 who want to show a dog in a conformation dog show.
Classes will be scheduled when there is a demand.
Prerequisite for IAO & CGN classes would be taking Basic Obedience classes &/or a dog who is able to sit/stay on their own for at least one minute.
Contact Roxanne at 250-723-9939 or email@example.com to be put on a waitlist.