All our training is done at Cherry Creek Community Hall in the Gym or outdoors, unless otherwise stated. Location: 3270 Moore Road, Port Alberni ( SW corner of Cherry Creek Rd and Moore Rd – 4 way stop)
This class covers the basics (sit, stay, down, recall, focus, heel, socialization, etc.) It is for the dogs of any age to learn the basics or as a refresher.
- Minimum age 12 weeks/3 months
- You should have time to bond with your dog before you start classes (2-3 weeks) and be able to walk your dog on a leash.
- Dogs must have proof of vaccinations. (Bring to Final Registration)
Dogs should not have any aggression or temperment issues. If they have, we will be happy to recommend a suitable dog trainer.
Supplies you require:
- Cloth Collar or Martingale Collar, only. (No choke or prong Collars or Harness.)
- 5-6 ft basic leash (no Flexi leash).
- Poop Bags.
- Soft treats/bait (like cut up weiners. Dry treats leaves crumbs behind that distracts other dogs and mess on Gym floor.)
Start Time: 6:00 or 7:00 pm on Monday evenings (Class is approx. 45 minutes to one hour)
Our instructor for Basic Obedience lessons is Synneva Stubbs. She is an Alberni Valley Kennel Club member and a Professional Canine Behaviour Specialist. She will be pleased to answer any questions you may have. Contact her by phone/text at 250-735-8880 or email: email@example.com
One set of 6 Basic Obedience Lessons are FREE for anyone 18 years and under.
(limited to 1 per class)
Class size is limited so we ask you to pre-register by sending us an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or call Roxanne at 250-723-9939
BOOK YOUR SPOT NOW!
- Final Registration & Info Session – (without dog)
- pay fee,
- bring proof of vaccinations,
- sign application,
- Q&A with instructor (at Cherry Creek Hall/Gym)
- 6 Basic Obedience Training Lessons for $90.
- Mondays, 6:00 or 7:00 pm at Cherry Creek Hall/Gym,
- Instructor: Synneva Stubbs
Basic Obedience Classes – Schedule for 2018
BOC-01 – JAN. 8, 15, 22, 29 FEB. 5, 12. (completed) BOC 02 – FEB. 19, 26 MAR. 5, 12, 19, 26. (completed) BOC 03 – APR. 9, 16, 23, 30 MAY 7, 14. (completed) BOC 04 – MAY 28, JUNE 4, 11, 18, 25 JULY 2. (completed) BOC 05 – JULY 9, 16, 23, 30 AUG. 13, 20. (completed) BOC 06 – SEP. 10, 17, 24, OCT. 1, 8, 15. (Full) BOC 07 – OCT. 22, 29, NOV. 5, 12, 19, 26. (Pre-register Now!) Final Registration for BOC 07 will be Sun. Oct. 14th No classes in December 2018.
Email us at email@example.com if you are interested in classes in Jan. 2019
Pre-Register for Classes
- Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone Roxanne at 250-723-9939
- Provide us with your Name, Email address & phone number, plus your dog’s name, breed and age.
- We will email you a reminder for “Final Registration” and classes.
Many dogs will repeat “Basic Obedience” to get better at the basic skills. Once they can sit & stay in position for 2-3 minutes they are ready to learn more.
Introduction to Advanced Obedience Classes
These classes will be available on a limited basis.
Prerequisite: Basic Obedience skills & be able to sit & stay for 1 minute.
It will cover the basic obedience skills but with more consistency and the 12 Canine Good Neighbour skills. We will also introduce you to Novice Obedience and Rally Obedience.
- CKC Rules & Regulations for Obedience & Rally Obedience Trials
- Canine Good Neighbour Program – Participants Guide
If this is what you are interested in, send us an email to: email@example.com or call Roxanne at 250-723-9939
- Classes scheduled for Mondays, Sep. 10, 17, 24, Oct. 1, 8, 15th, at 7:00 pm
- Canine Good Neighbour Test – Fri. October 19th, 2018 at Glenwood Centre, 3:30 – 5:00 pm.
Rally Obedience is a dog sport which has a dog and its handler navigate a course of 12-15 stations for accuracy and time. Each station has instructions for the dog and handler to follow. Various levels of difficulty, starting with Novice, where the dog is on leash. Suitable for all dogs of any age. Enjoy as play & exercise with your dog &/or in competitions and earn titles.
- Date(s): Tuesdays (Spring thru Fall) – May – Sept. 2018
- Cost: FREE (must pre-register)
- Your dog should have basic Obedience skills (sit, down, stay)
- Time: 7:00 pm
- Place: Cherry Creek Hall outdoors, weather permitting
- Instructor – Dinant Vanden Hoek
If interested, pre-register with Roxanne Leyland, firstname.lastname@example.org or 250-723-9939
Show Handling & Junior Handling
These classes are designed to prepare you &/or your dog to be handled in the ring of a Conformation Dog Show. This includes Junior Handlers (Ages 8-18 years)
- Dates to be determined by demand
- (50 min.) at Cherry Creek Hall-Gym or outdoor tennis court
- 5 lessons for $25. payable at 1st class or Drop-In fee $10. per class.
- Requirements – dog show leash
- Registered Purebred dogs only for judging in Conformation show (If you do not have a qualifying dog, we will be happy to provide one.
- Dog in good health and vaccinations up to date
- Instructors: Lisa Tremblay
Pre-register by phone or email to Roxanne Leyland, AV Kennel Club Secretary 250-723-9939 or email@example.com and provide the following information:
- Your name, phone # and email address
- Dog’s Name, breed, age
- Do you want all 5 lessons for $25. or Drop-In lessons for $10. each.
Junior Handling classes
Available at no cost but limited to space available. Pre-register now and we will contact you when the dates are confirmed.
Junior Handling with Lisa Tremblay –
The CGN test will be offered at our annual Dog Show. (next test will be in Oct.19, 2018)
Any dog (incl. mixed-breeds) are eligible to take the test.
Cost of test is $25. Dogs that qualify receive a badge and certificate.
This is for the Canadian Kennel Club’s Novice Class Obedience Trials. When your dog successfully completes 3 Novice Class Obedience Trials (as judged by 2 different judges), they will earn the CKC title of Companion Dog (CD). Available to all dogs (incl. mixed breeds).
Training for trials or for experience, classes will guide you through the steps.
See Introduction to Advanced Obedience (above)
Pre-register your interest in this class with Roxanne Leyland, firstname.lastname@example.org or 250-723-9939
Club Practice/Training Classes
AV Kennel Club members practice &/or train their dogs in a variety of disciplines, (ie. Show Handling, Novice Obedience, Rally Obedience, etc.) To participate you must be a member of the AV Kennel Club or pre-register with Roxanne.
TBA – (Date/Time) – contact Roxanne for location
May to September
Self Practice only – No fee – No instructor
Other Canine Activities:
If you are interested in other canine activity or more advanced training, please let us know. If there is others interested, we can organize classes or recommend a suitable trainer.
Other dog performance/sports not currently available locally but elsewhere on Vancouver island are:
Agility – Carting – Field Trials -Tracking – Herding – Scent Detection
Send your inquiry to: email@example.com or call Roxanne at 250-723-9939